Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Could Brittany Murphy Have Been Suffering From Grave's Disease?

When I heard about the passing of actress Brittany Murphy, I hoped her death wasn't due to a drug overdose or from taking a mixture of prescription drugs--as we've been seeing by the untimely deaths of numerous entertainers.

Then, when I saw recent pictures and footage of her on T.V., I immediately thought that she must have been anorexic. She was grossly thin. Then, I heard that she had a heart ailment.
I also read that Murphy had been reported as saying that certain medications increased her heart rate (this can be dangerous). After hearing all of this, I began to wonder if she could have been suffering from Grave's Disease, an autoimmune disease that can affect the Thyroid.

As a person who has GD, I have been suspected on numerous occasions (by doctors, etc.) of being anorexic. You should've seen me when I was first diagnosed with GD; I seriously looked like a concentration camp victim. As, this disease speeds up the metabolism and causes weight issues regardless of how much is eaten. Even after treatment, I have many issues including the inability to gain weight, intolerance to certain foods and medications, rapid heart rate, etc.

Regardless of what caused Murphy's death, it is so sad and unfortunate that she has passed away at such an early age. My thoughts and prayers are with her family.

_______________________________________________
Below is an article regarding the possibility of Murphy having had a thyroid condition. It looks like I'm not the only one who suspects that this could be a possibility:

http://thyroid.about.com/b/2009/12/22/brittany-murphy-thyroid.htm

No comments: